Friday, March 7, 2008

Progress without Progress

Sadly I have to admit that I have been semi-lazy on the diet horizon. I was charting every day every scrap that went into my mouth and was drinking insane amounts of water. Then I had some menstrual difficulties and became less interested in dieting and changing my life. I’ve come to realize that this has been my downfall all along. So while I was on semi-hiatus, I tried to continue to make good decisions for the most part. The hard part is, is that I feel good. I didn’t post a weigh in for two weeks because the readings were all high and I attributed this to getting my period. I also didn’t do my measurements because I had my period and figured the bloat would skew my readings. But I sucked it up and did my measurements and was down in some places and up in others. And my weigh in yesterday morning was two pounds higher than my all time low, but no biggie. I took my Meridia today hoping that would job something but we’ll have to wait and see. I almost feel like it’s cheating but I definitely need some help and I don’t take it all that regularly. I charted what I ate most days and yesterday was the only day I didn’t prepare all my meals and snacks myself. I realize that good diet behavior doesn’t usually show until several days after starting it so I’m hoping on Saturday, when I can get a true low weight, that things have started to move. But in the mean time, I need to find a way to be OK with the plateaus that are so common to dieting. I also need a gym buddy. Now that Steve’s working 2nd shift, I don’t feel the need to rush home anymore. I’m hoping with the warm weather, I’ll feel inspired to go for walks. I just need to keep plugging…I’ve never successful attempted to lose weight for more than 16 weeks. I’m on week 9 so I’m hoping to keep doing this until I’ve lost all I can, and hoping that this remains a life change….

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan..
Thanks for you comment. I know how you feel about plateau's...it can really be infuriating to know you're doing all the right things and the scale isn't moving. But don't give up!! Don't let it get you down or it will lead to eating the wrong things...it will pick up again....have u tried a different kind of exercise? the trainer at my gym told me you should mix it up a little as your body can get used to it and it stops having the same kind of effect.....variety is the key. You're doing a really great job and when you get closer to that 16th week, reach out for as much support as you can and work through it. you will succeed!
Hel x

~**Dawn**~ said...

I was just reading a little blurb in February's Redbook. I thought of you.

Three Ways Blogging Incorporates Elements That Are Essential to Long-Term Wieght Loss

1. SOCIAL SUPPORT
Recording your dieting efforts, sharing what works & doesn't, and allowing the opportuniyu for advice & encouragement. Dieters who have active support are more like to shed pounds than those who attempt to slim down solo. Having people around who support your efforts will help you sustain them -- true friends reinforce positive healthy changes.

2. FOOD JOURNALING
Using your blog to track what you eat, how much & when is a smart move since maintaining a food record plays a more important role in successful wieght loss than age, how much you exercise or even how much you have to lose. Food journaling allows you to identify what works as well as patterns that get you into trouble. For instance, are you waiting too long between meals & then overeating? Bad patterns can be changed but you have to know what those patterns are first.

3. REGULAR WEIGH-INS
Stepping on a scale & posting your weight is a habit that can more than double weight loss success. Weighing yourself can alert you to when your weight is trying to creep back up so you can take action & stop the slip.

Brenda said...

I think you are on the right track. Even if you make some poor choices, make sure you write them down. Remember, don't let one poor choice ruin the whole day! Keep up the good work.

Heather said...

i wish we lived closer so we could be walking buddies. i also want to start walking at nights now that the days are later.